Saturday, May 23, 2009

Questions About Rugs and My Best Advise!

I recieve many emails from people far and near and so I've decided to post the questions and my responses so that the information is available to one and all. Here's the most recent:

"I saw your web site and you seem to be knowledgeable about rugs. This is my carpet. I've been told by my rug cleaner, one of the few guys who still cleans by hand in Los Angeles, that this rug is over 75 years old, Belgian, and probably machine made. I really like the rug, but as you can see, the wear is getting bad. Is a rug like this worth restoring? Can a rug like this be restored? I love the aged look of it, but I think it's a little TOO aged. One of his guys offered to "color" the bald spots. If the rug isn't worth that much, is that a way to go - or will it look painted? Any advice you could give would be most appreciated."

Melanie Graham

My response:

Dear Melanie,

There is really no investment potential in older machine made rugs. If they are in perfect condition, there is some value there, but never as much as a good hand-woven rug.

Babylon rug cleaners on Westerm in Los Angeles is the best one that I know of. Link below.
http://www.babylonrugcleaners.com/
If they can put a bit of the color back where it's worn out, it may look better for a while but don't spend a lot of money on that. These guys are the best in LA and VERY fairly priced.
If it's clean now, my best recommendation is just to arrange your furniture so the worn spots don't show and use it until you are done.

Machine woven rugs cannot be restored. You are right, it is a very pretty rug.
Hopefully this helps.

Best Regards,
Penny Krieger
http://www.paradiseorientlarugs.com/