Saturday, February 16, 2019

Antique Persian Rugs Recently Acquired for my Gallery!

Moving into 2019, I have recently crossed " over 20 years in business" and 13 years at my gallery here in Sebastopol, CA. Always learning and still very much in love with the Oriental Rug Universe.

It took a long time for me to embrace antique rugs as a concept. I would see other dealers selling worn out, challenged pieces, when first starting out or look through old auction catalogs, indicating sales prices with estimates in the hundreds of thousands of dollars and just shake my head. Now, finally, I am beginning to see what are the attributes and irreplaceable qualities on an antique Oriental rug of merit.

The design, color choices, layout, and general composition of a handwoven rug is a communication. Starting with the selection of hand-spun high-quality wool, the dyes used, the dyer's skill to create unique and beautiful colors, the drawing of the rug, any intentionally placed anomalies (intentional mistakes) and the overall composition; there is a communication that occurs when one beholds a woven work of art.

After observing so many enthusiastic and sometimes wild responses (client diving onto a rug to losing their power of speech, both of which, have occurred) in response to rugs I have shown over the years, I not only believe this, I know it.

Here are a few of my recent antique acquisitions, all of which are currently available at my gallery.

This first piece is a 3'4" x 4'6" Antique Persian Hamadon. Circa 1900. Senna, Bijar design. Beautifully saturated vegetable dyes with deep, clear colors and lots of spark! Excellent condition with no wear to the pile. The field design is the classic Herati design.



This next rug is an antique Shekarlu Qashqai rug! 2nd Half, 19th Century. Size is: 6'2" x 7'8"  Shekarlu Qashqai rugs are characterized by their white borders and fields filled with stylized depictions of animals, flowers, trees and more. A beautifully put together antique Persian Carpet, this piece has "heart". It is currently displayed on a wall at my gallery!



This last piece is an antique Persian Kurdish rug; Sanjabi Kurd. 19th Century. 4'4" x 7'4" This Persian carpet has lustrous wool, full pile, no condition issues, and extremely compelling in person. Investment quality antique rug. Amazing condition for the age, woven with all vegetable dyes in beautiful colors!

Here is a recent video that includes two of these rugs, which you might enjoy.
Thanks for checking in!

Penny